Well, umm.. sorry to anyone who’s interested in my ‘adventures’. It seems I’ve neglected this blog a little, but I have got a good excuse; my liver died, so I got a second-hand one, then that died, and then I got another one. That one hasn’t died yet!
So, all that has kind’ve put me out of action for the past couple of years. My last major illness was back in September last year, which resulted in 4 months in hospital, and the loss of almost all my muscle mass. It took 3 months of protein supplements and physio to get me on my feet again, and another 2 months to be able to walk normally.
After a few local rides to the supermarket, I finally managed a proper ride on the Middlewood Way in February. I only had a small amount of time, and I’m pretty slow at the moment, so I only managed about 7 miles in total. I’ve ridden there a few times previously, and it’s a nice place for a pootle. Just watch out for the horses!
ooh – the Muddy Fox is complete! I actually completed the build back in 2015, and the Kili’s been out of action due to setup issues, so I’ve used it quite a lot since then.
There’s also been another addition to the fleet, which I bought *just* before my liver keeled over; a Lynx Parrilla. If you google the name, you get motorbikes and barbeques, and practically nothing about the bike (except my own posts to retrobike). Info on the bike is rarer than it was for my Courier, so I have no idea how many exist, or what their spec is supposed to be. Luckily, the frame under the branding is not so rare; it’s an early Roberts Genesis!
So that means it needs a decent spec, but as I’m a cheapskate, XT is about as far as I’m willing to go. I’ve got the crank and mechs so far, and I bought some Project 2 forks. I just need to get some brakes and put it all together! Once I’ve built up the strength to hammer in the headset, that is.
I just noticed that I never posted an update about the Kili Racer, or the ALX89 for that matter. Shameful! The Kili worked for a little while, but after the ride down south, it was clear that I’d set it up badly, and I never quite got around to finishing it properly. I’m gonna finish it soon, though – honest! Here’s how it looked just before heading south:
Not bad, eh? Since then, I’ve put on some silver chainrings, swapped the front brakes for some that work, put on a black handlebar with some Yeti grips, and the tyres are now Panaracer Smoke and Dart. The brakes are Suntour SE XC self-energising brakes, which are spring loaded to pull the brake in as they grip the wheel. Only the rear are spring loaded, but the front brakes are a lot more expensive, despite being basic brakes. Originally, I had rear brakes on the back and the front (they’re reversed, so the spring does nothing on the front), but the shape of the brake meant the fork got in the way when trying to adjust them. In the end, I bought proper front SE XCs, but now I’m pondering fitting some Maguras that I’ve got…
As for the ALX89; I sold it. It was just too small! Shame, though.. that bike was ace in every other respect.
And that’s everything up to date! Except for my most recent ride, which I’m gonna stick in the next post. It’s gonna be a lot sooner than 3 years! 🙂